Welcome

Digite abaixo o seu assunto de interesse

Gramática, Gírias, Expressões, Phrasal Verbs, Cultura, Curiosidades...

quarta-feira, 22 de setembro de 2010

Slang: burn one's bridges



Definition: To leave all of your friends and acquaintances behind; to cause permanent damage in your relationships.
Example: 1) Even though you're quitting your job tomorrow, try not to burn your bridges. You never know when you'll need help in the future.

2) There may be a conflict of interest if I work with both companies. Of course I don't want to burn any bridges, so I should choose one company and let the other know that I can't work with them.
Etymology: The idea is that there people who form bridges to your past. If you forget or insult them, you have burned all of your bridges to the past, and can never go back.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Drop me a line! Obrigado por visitar o blog.