Welcome

Digite abaixo o seu assunto de interesse

Gramática, Gírias, Expressões, Phrasal Verbs, Cultura, Curiosidades...

terça-feira, 23 de novembro de 2010

holidays


HOLIDAYS - Do you know how to say things you do on holiday?

Places where you can spend a holiday:

camp site: a place where you can pitch a tent or park a caravan.
self-catering flat: flat which you rent, you cook for yourself.
guesthouse: accomodation like a hotel but cheaper and with fewer services.
youth hostel: accomodation, mainly for young people, with, perhaps, ten or more people sleeping in bunk beds in one room.
holiday camp: a place providing holiday accomodation in little chalets or flats, with restaurants, bars, swimming pools and lots of other facilities and entertainment.
time-share apartment: accomodation which one owns, say, a 26th part of and so has the right to stay there for 2 weeks every year.

Things people like to do on holiday:

sunbathe verb [I]
to sit or lie in the sun

swim or go swimming

do some or go sightseeing
Sightseeing is the act of visiting interesting places, esp.while on vacation:
Are you going to go sightseeing this afternoon?

ski or go skiing

go for a drive
Is to get your car and drive round

hike or go hiking
hike(WALK) verb [I]
to walk a long distance, esp.in the countryside
Ww plan to hike from lake to lake.
I´ve got to hike back to my car to get my jacket.

tour or go touring
tour verb [I/T]
We spent a month touring France. [T]
Alanis is touring to promote her new album [I]

camp or go camping

go on an excursion

climb or go climbing/mountaineering
climb (RISE) verb [I/T]
to go up, or go up (something) or to the top of (something)
We climbed to the top of the hill, where we had a great view.[I]
She climbed the stairs to the third floor.[T]

Some useful language for when you are staying in a hotel:

I´d like to book a single/double room with a cot.
I´d like a room with a shower, a colour TV, and a view of the sea.
What time do you serve breakfast?
Am I too late for dinner/to get something to eat?
Is service included?
Could we have dinner in our room, please?
I´d like an extra pillow, please.
I´d like to make a call to Brazil, please.
Sorry to bother you, but...
I´m afraid there´s something wrong withe the...could you have a look at it?

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Drop me a line! Obrigado por visitar o blog.