Welcome

Digite abaixo o seu assunto de interesse

Gramática, Gírias, Expressões, Phrasal Verbs, Cultura, Curiosidades...

terça-feira, 26 de julho de 2011

Watch out! The use of Present Perfect / Past Perfect


We don´t use Present Perfect when an exact past time is mentioned and there is no connection with the present:

X - We´ve been to London in 1997.
CORRECT - We went to London in 1997.


. But we can use the Present Perfect if the period mentioned includes the past and present:
- We´ve been here since six o´clock.
- I haven´t done much work today.
- It´s been raining for ages.

. We use Past Perfect for something that happened before something else. We can only use it with another Past tense:
- I went to see hiem because his wife had asked me to.

. We omit will in time clauses:
X - I´ll phone you as soon as we will have arrived.
CORRECT: I´ll phone you as soon as we have arrived.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Drop me a line! Obrigado por visitar o blog.